In Go Girls! Camps, rising 1st – 4th grade girls make plays, art, and media that we believe will change the world.OVERVIEWOver the course of 2 weeks, girls in Go Girls! Camp work together to create and perform their own plays that reinforce social/emotional skills. All camps are led by a team of highly trained and very talented theater teaching artists, expressive artists, and the coolest teen assistants you will ever meet (basically, these are girls you want your daughters to grow up to be).The structure of the Go Girls! Camp day (9am-4pm) is intentionally designed to include the perfect balance of facilitated community building time, arts-based instructional time, and plenty of free play. Girls engage with drama/acting, visual arts, creative movement/dance, music, and media. We take time to play outside. We take time to relax and read. The “big show” is performed at 4pm on the last day of the 2 week session and just might be one of the most exciting and original theatrical experiences you will ever attend.
…[Go Girls! Camps] give kids the time to practice the kind of child-led, complex, imaginative play that research shows helps children learn to work in groups, to resolve conflicts, and to regulate their own emotions and behaviors…
Go Girls! Learning ObjectivesWe have developed our methodology over the last 5 years to give girls opportunities to learn and practice skills in 5 main areas:
- Say Yes! – I am ready for anything. I welcome new challenges and I try my best.
- Acting is Doing – I have the power of my voice, body, and imagination to make bold and brave choices.
- Mistakes Are Okay – Learning means I will make a mistake. I can throw my mistakes, oopses, and uh oh’s in the Tower of Oops and move on.
- I am an Emotional Superhero – All of my feelings are okay. Even the ones that don’t feel good. If I get calm and notice my feelings, they will help me know what to do next.
- Gratitude Makes Us Happy – Even when I am in the worst…mood…ever, gratitudes can make me feel so…much…better.
In each 2 week session of camp, we integrate these 5 learning areas into a brand new theme that we explore with the girls through all artistic medium. Summer 2015 is all about showing the world what girls CAN do!